You may often find yourself scouring the kitchen to find something to eat when you feel your hunger urges coming on. Keeping your kitchen pantry and refrigerator full will help eliminate the unnecessary snacking you find yourself indulging in. Here is a list of 20 must-have foods to keep in your kitchen at all times.
1. Water: Water is a necessity. Everyone needs water to survive. Our bodies are made up of 70% water and keeping our bodies hydrated is essential for survival.
2. Fruits and vegetables: These are healthy foods that you should keep in your pantry or refrigerator. They make for easy, healthy snacks and can be used in many meals.
3. Milk: Keeping low-fat or non-fat milk your refrigerator is always good. Since milk can be used in many ways such as cooking, drinking, and eating with cereal in the morning, this is always going to be a must-have for your kitchen.
4. Eggs: Eggs are essential in cooking many different meals and makes for a tasty protein-filled breakfast. Hard-boiled eggs are great to keep in your refrigerator as they can be used to make egg salad, potato salad, and makes a great addition to regular garden salads.
5. Cereal: If you have children, the biggest breakfast preference is cereal. Keeping different types of cereal around makes a perfect snack for both you and your children as well as an easy and healthy start to your morning.
6. Juice: A healthier alternative to soda and other sugary types of drinks is all-natural 100% fruit juices. Keeping juice in the house will ensure that you always have something other than water around to quench your thirst.
7. Canned or Prepared Foods: Canned foods such as soup, fruits and vegetables, and canned meats make for delicious meals that are quick and great to use for the pure convenience factor.
8. Bread: Every household should keep bread in the home as it makes it easy to make a quick sandwich for lunch or toasting the bread for a great addition to your scrambled eggs in the morning.
9. Pasta: Even though pasta is full of carbs, it makes for a quick and easy meal.
10. Rice: Since rice is usually bland (unless you buy rice that is already flavored) it leaves a lot of room for experimenting with different flavors and ingredients that fit the main course of any meal.
11. Peanut Butter: This is a favorite of many people, including children! Peanut butter is great to use on crackers and toast and is full of protein.
12. Yogurt: Low fat or non-fat flavored yogurt always makes a great snack for those that can tolerate the consistency. Yogurt can also be used in cooking certain dishes and can also be used to make a healthy fruit dip.
13. Fresh Vegetables: If you’re hungry for something that is healthy and quick to make, keeping fresh vegetables such as lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and any other types of vegetables you enjoy will make it easy to toss them together in a bowl for a filling salad.
14. Condiments: Keeping condiments in your refrigerator such as mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise and a variety of salad dressings will give you access to spice up any bland dish.
15. Cheese: Low-fat cheese is great to keep in the refrigerator and can add flavor and variety to make different dishes.
16. Granola Cereal: Low-fat granola is a sweet and healthy addition to salads and yogurt and can also be eaten by itself for breakfast.
17. Lemons: Having fresh lemons is perfect for those people who are avid seafood lovers. Lemons are often used in many seafood dishes and can also spice up other dishes as well.
18. Fresh Meat, Poultry, and Fish: All three of these meats provide a significant amount of protein and are all wonderful to use for main courses. You can do many things with these three meats to prepare them for tasty and healthy meals.
19. Crackers: Crackers are simple snack foods that do have carbs in them but can be combined with yogurt, cheese, fruit, vegetables, and peanut butter to make for tasty easy-to-make snacks.
20. Unsalted Nuts: Having a variety of unsalted nuts available can also make a perfect addition to your salads and other meals. They can also be eaten right out of the container as an excellent protein-filled snack.