Getting fiber in our body is very important it helps prevent constipation and manage our weight. It may also help prevent some diseases like high cholesterol, diabetes, heart diseases and some cancers.
The recommended amount of fiber needed a day is 25 to 38 grams. Most people eat less than 15 grams a day. The institute of medicine recommends men under 50 to eat 38 grams and women 25 grams. Adults over 50, men 30 grams and women 21 grams of fiber.
There are two types of fibers, soluble and insoluble and both are helpful to you. Insoluble helps the intestines and colon function properly, by hydrating and helping waste move through your intestine, which keeps you regular and less constipated.
Soluble fiber digest slowly and helps reduce cholesterol and assists in keeping the blood sugar levels stable. Both the insoluble and soluble fiber are important and most foods rich in fiber have both.
Lack of fiber in your diet can cause:
· Constipation; getting hard stools. fiber helps soften your stool and help moves waste along.
· Diabetes; fiber helps regulated unstable blood sugar
· Weight Gain; foods high in fiber helps you stay full longer, which prevents you from eating more food.
· Cardiovascular diseases; this may cause high cholesterol and heart diseases. Soluble fiber that’s found in oats, beans and fruits and vegetables helps.
· Hemorrhoids; hemorrhoids are inflamed veins close your anus and develop from pushing hard stools. Eating food high in fiber can solve the problem.
FAST WAY TO EAT MORE FIBER:
Adding fiber to your diet can be easy as 123, here are simple ways that you can add it in your diet.
1. Flax meal; they come in different colors, tan, brown and golden, they are a good source of omega 3- fatty acids and fiber.
2. Chia seeds; one ounce of chia seeds has 11 grams of fiber, it’s also packed with antioxidants, proteins, vitamins and minerals.
3. Hemp seeds; they are good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber and have many more benefits, they are good source of healthy fats and protein
4. Cereals; Ezekiel4:9 sprouted whole grain cereal, golden flax, Cheerios, Kashi whole grains, General mills fiber one etc
Other ways to add fiber to your diet:
The best way to get your fiber is through foods, fruits, and vegetables. Below are food that are high in fiber.
1. Oats; is one of the easiest ways to include fiber in your diet
2. Fruits; berries, avocado, pears, bananas, apples, oranges, papaya etc
3. Vegetables(cooked); kales, peas, green beans, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes etc
4. Beans and Legumes (cooked); soya beans, lentils, pinto beans, kidney beans etc.
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Joan_Cline/2395458